The Rock Cut Temples of Masroor

�Kehte hain, Pandavon ne yeh mandir banaya tha� (They say, that it was the Pandavas who built these temples), says the ASI guide, at the Rock Cut Cave Temples of Masroor. I look at him, askance, expecting a bit more information than that. �But some other king would have rebuilt the temples� I insist, trying not to override his mythological beliefs, hoping to get some historical information. He shrugs, clearly knowing nothing more, and turns instead to show us some of the depictions of deities he does know. My questions continue, and his confusion increases. �Are you studying these temples?� he asks, flicking looks between me and my son. �No, I just write about them� I reply, and he is satisfied. �Lots of people come here to study these temples and write about them. We are applying for UNESCO World Heritage Status� he adds proudly.